So this sandwich is the s***. I have always been a huge fan of sandwiches but due to a sluggish metabolism I can’t eat nearly as many as I would like. I can however dream…..and that is what this beauty started as. I eat roasted veg every week. I love roasted vegetables and toss them in with most of my weekly dishes. Because I eat so many roasted vegetables I’m always thinking of new ways to incorporate them into my meals. The idea of this sandwich was just too good not to bring to life. Enjoy. serves 4
- 1 large head of cauliflower, sliced in slabs (remove the leaves, then leaving the core intact cut into 1/2 inch slices)
- 2 large red peppers, sliced
- 2 cooking onions, sliced in rounds
- 1 head of broccolini
- 2 small zucchini, sliced length ways
- 2 avocado, sliced
- 8 slices of jalapeño havarti cheese
- 8 slices of light rye bread
- safflower oil
Spice mix for veggies:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 smoked paprika
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise or vegenaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp sriracha, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- splash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp honey (more or less depending on how sweet you like it)
To make -
- preheat oven to 425.
- brush oil on both sides of the sliced veggies (minus the onions and red peppers)
- season both sides with spice blend.
- lay on baking sheet. Bake for 25 -35 minutes flipping half way through (the broccolini and zucchini will cook a little faster, remove when nicely charred)
- while the vegetables are baking drizzle some oil in the bottom of a medium sized pan and toss in the onions and peppers. Cook on med-high until caramelized, about the same amount of time as your other vegetables will be roasting for. Stir often.
- make your sauce. Toss all of the sauce ingredients in your food processor and pulse until fully combined. set aside.
- when your roasted veggies are done, remove from oven and set aside.
- place your bread directly on the rack of your oven. 4 of those slices should have 2 slices of havarti each. remove from oven when toast begins to brown and cheese is beautiful and bubbly.
Assemble - first cover the bottom of the non cheesy rye with cauliflower. Now place in layers the zucchini, broccolini, peppers and onions and avocado. Slather the cheese covered rye with a generous amount of sauce and sandwich those beauties together. Devour.