This dish came about one night as I was craving risotto but didn’t want white rice or to fuss over trying to create a risotto dinner with the wild rice blend I had. It turned out exactly as I had hoped. The flavours are rich and comforting without being overly heavy. I was told it would be a great date night dish….Valentine’s Day perhaps?serves 6
- 6 servings of rice of choice, I used lundberg wild rice blend
- 1 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp herbamare, feel free to add less or skip this if you are watching your sodium intake
- 2 cloves garlic
Mushroom sausage blend-
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 package of sausage, chopped
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup good quality parmesan cheese
- Fresh diced tomato
- Pine nuts
- Fresh grated parmesan
- Cook rice according to package….with a few alterations, use broth instead of water and replace 1 1/4 cup of the broth with white wine. Toss in 2 whole crushed cloves of garlic and salt.
- While the rice is cooking work on the mushrooms and sausage. In a large pan over medium heat cook the onions in 2 tbsp of butter for about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally, for 13 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the sausage and thyme, stirring occasionally until the sausage has cooked through, about 9-11 minutes. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan loosening the brown bits.
- Add the tomato, soy sauce and white wine, cook until the wine has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup of cream and 1/2 cup of parmesan.
- Once the rice has finished cooking mix with the mushrooms and sausage.
- If you want you can season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley, tomato and pine nuts.