Yesterday was cold and rainy. It’s the end of May and I figured that this weather was not going to last much longer. I decided to make the most of it and cook up my last batch of soup before saying goodbye until the fall.
- 1 med butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cabbage, chopped
- 1 can diced tomato (if you want less tomato flavour strain the tomato before adding to the soup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 med onion, diced
- 2 cups of black eyed peas ( I used the canned ones)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cups of veg broth (or any liquid, water, beef broth…etc)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tso dried oregano
In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it begins to brown. Now add the garlic, cabbage, squash, tomatoes and broth. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or so (until the squash is cooked). Now add the spices and the beans; stir until combined. Cook another ten minutes allowing the flavors to blend. Remove from heat. If you like it a bit thicker and smoother (I do) give the soup a quick pulse with your immersion blender…not a ton but just enough to thicken the broth. Salt and pepper to taste then top with some avocado and goat cheese. Enjoy!