*Recipe adapted from Vegetable Literacy
- 8 cups chard leaves, rinsed and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup of finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup of yogurt or sour cream
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- salt and pepper to taste
Rinse and chop the chard; set it aside in a colander to drain
Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, potato, carrot and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the cumin, coriander, cilantro and chard. Sprinkle with a little salt and cover the pan allowing the leaves to cook down. Add 5 cups of water, bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer until the potato has softened.
Allow the soup to cool slightly, then add the yogurt and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pot over med low heat. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the lime zest and juice.
To serve ladle into bowls and top with crispy tortilla strips.
* for the tortilla strips preheat oven to 375. Brush 2 tortillas with oil on both sides and cut into thin strips. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, spread the strips on the sheet and bake for 12-15 min or until the strips look nice and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little.