I know this isn’t technically a taco buuut it is a taco bowl! It’s a fresh and yummy way to get your taco fix without binging out on tacos.
- 2 pounds of white fish – halibut, haddock, sole, flounder or tilapia
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- safflower oil, for frying
To make the fish: Preheat a large cast iron skillet ( or any heavy pan ) over medium-high heat. In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, spices and zest. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture until evenly coated. Pour enough oil in the skillet to evenly coat the bottom. Cook fish in two batches adding more oil if needed. Make sure the pan is still sizzling; if not, turn the heat up a little. Cook for a few minutes or until the bottom of the fish is golden brown. Carefully flip. Cook for a few more minutes then add 1/2 the lime juice. Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat.
CREAMY CHIPOTLE DRESSING
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegenaise or mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, if you can’t handle the heat make sure to remove the seeds. If you like heat feel free to add a little more!
- pinch of salt
To make the dressing: toss all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fully mixed. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup black beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 handful of lettuce per bowl
- cilantro for topping
To serve: Fill four bowls with corn, avocado, black beans, tomato, cabbage, red pepper, onion and lettuce. Top with fish and a generous drizzle of creamy chipotle dressing . Sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!
Want to mix it up a bit? Try adding any of the following to your taco bowl -
- Mexican rice
- shredded cheese
- chopped pineapple or mango
- chicken instead of fish
- fresh or picked jalapeno
- crispy tortilla strips like in this recipe