I have been feeling totally uninspired in the kitchen lately. It’s such a frustrating feeling. I LOVE food. I LOVE to cook. So what’s the problem? Why can’t I just hop in the kitchen and that’d be that! I decided to spend my down time today searching for inspiration. It wasn’t the most productive way to spend it (as I have a list a mile long of things I need to get done) but it was exactly what I needed. Thank you to theminimalistbaker for helping inspire me to get back in the kitchen with a smile on my face.
serves 2, if you want two pieces of toast or 4, if you are satisfied with just one
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, raw and unsalted
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, add a little more if you like it sweeter
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- white pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- tomato for topping
- 4 pieces of double toasted rye
- arugula for topping
- drain and rinse the chickpeas
- place the first 12 ingredients in a bowl and mash with the backside of a fork. Alternately you can use a food processor and give it a few good pulses just to incorporate everything. You want the mixture quite chunky not smooth.
- lay the rye toast on 4 plates
- top each with arugula then tomato
- evenly distribute the chickpea mash to finish them off
- if you are like me at this point you will add a nice drizzle of your favourite hot sauce. I topped mine with sriracha and it was perfect! minus getting it on the tip of my nose while trying to stuff this beauty in my mouth.
Comments and positivity are always welcomed, however I am currently not accepting complaints or criticisms.