I have been feeling totally uninspired in the kitchen lately. It’s such a frustrating feeling. I LOVE food. I LOVE to cook. So what’s the problem? Why can’t I just hop in the kitchen and that’d be that! I decided to spend my down time today searching for inspiration. It wasn’t the most productive way to spend it (as I have a list a mile long of things I need to get done) but it was exactly what I needed. Thank you to theminimalistbaker for helping inspire me to get back in the kitchen with a smile on my face.
serves 2, if you want two pieces of toast or 4, if you are satisfied with just one
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, raw and unsalted
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, add a little more if you like it sweeter
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- white pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- tomato for topping
- 4 pieces of double toasted rye
- arugula for topping
- drain and rinse the chickpeas
- place the first 12 ingredients in a bowl and mash with the backside of a fork. Alternately you can use a food processor and give it a few good pulses just to incorporate everything. You want the mixture quite chunky not smooth.
- lay the rye toast on 4 plates
- top each with arugula then tomato
- evenly distribute the chickpea mash to finish them off
- if you are like me at this point you will add a nice drizzle of your favourite hot sauce. I topped mine with sriracha and it was perfect! minus getting it on the tip of my nose while trying to stuff this beauty in my mouth.