I had some pork loin I needed to use before it disappeared to the bottom of my freezer, never to be seen again. Originally I was going to cook everything separately. Pork roast with a side of lentils, spinach and sweet potato. Then I got lazy. So out came the crock pot. Oh, and I may have tossed in a pack of bacon!
To all my vegetarian friends…I’m sorry. To all my meat eaters …you’re welcome.
Spread potatos out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Lay bacon on potatoes. Bake at 400 for about 15 min. You don’t want the bacon to get crispy. Remove from oven and separate the potatoes and bacon. Drain the fat.
Chop the pork into good sized hunks.
Get out your crock pot. Add potato onion and garlic. Now add the lentils and then the pork. Chop up the bacon and place it on top of the pork. Dump in the liquids. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve with a hot baguette or over quinoa or whole grain rice.
- 4 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 pork loin, cubed
- 1 pack of bacon
- 2 med cooking onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of lentils
- 5 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1tbl worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups broth ( veg or chicken )
- Preheat oven to 400
- wash and chop potatoes leaving skin on.
- Spread potatoes out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Layer bacon on top of the potatoes and bake for 15 min.
- When the potatoes and bacon are finished baking remove from oven, separate and drain the fat.
- In the slow cooker add the potatoes, onion and garlic.
- Dump in the lentils.
- Place the pork on top of the lentils.
- Chop the bacon and spread on top of the pork.
- In a bowl mix together thyme, coriander, smoked paprika, maple syrup and worcestershire sauce. Add this mixture to the broth and pour into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Just before serving stir in the chopped spinach, let cook for a few min and serve.