Here is a fun and easy pumpkin craft to make with your little one this Halloween. All you need is a little time and the ability to embrace the sparkles that will inevitably wind up all over the house. You’re welcome.
You will need:
- 1 canvas board, you can buy these at the dollar store
- black paint
- white craft glue
- sparkles, whatever colours strike your fancy
- paint brush
- colourful scrap paper
- scissors, grownup and kids
- heavy duty watercolour paper
- X-Acto knife
extras- you can also buy pre cut colourful paper shapes if your child is too young to cut or if you simply want a little something extra!
Lets get started:
- Paint the canvas board black, you can leave the edges white since they will be covered with the water colour paper in the end. Let it dry.
- While the canvas is drying, cut out or tear shapes using the colourful scrap paper.
- Now that the canvas is dry, drizzle glue all over the canvas creating a large circle.
- stick your paper scraps all over.
- go nuts with the sparkles! shake shake shake all over the paper and glue, focusing on the glue. You want all of the white glue to be covered with sparkles.
- Take the glue and make a rectangle at the top of the circle. Like where the pumpkins stem would be.
- cover with more sparkles. Poppy used green but you can use whatever colour you like!
- set aside to dry. Once it has dried tap off excess sparkles. I suggest doing this over the garbage or outside!
- on the heavy duty water colour paper, draw a simple outline of a pumpkin. Make sure this pumpkin is a little smaller than the one on your canvas.
- With an X-Acto knife, carefully cut out the pumpkin (obviously the adult does this)
- remove the pumpkin and you will be left with just the outer piece.
- spread glue all over the back of the paper you cut the pumpkin out of.
- carefully place over your canvas.
- tada! You now have a beautiful pumpkin!