I love baking but this year I am tired. I am so tired I didn’t even bake a cake or make donuts for my twin sister Danie on her birthday! I honestly can’t remember the last time I didn’t bake for her. I feel awful but I honestly did not have the time or energy this year to bake for Danie annnd my Husband (whose birthday happens to be the day after ours) sooo I had to choose. I chose to make a cake for Kegan with the promise to Dan that I would make her the donuts and the tart she had asked for on a later date.. just not on her birthday. I will make them on a weekend when I have nothing to do but to take my time baking for Dan. This year Kegan’s Birthday was on a Monday so I spent the day with Poppy on my hip baking this strawberry and cream cake for Daddy. The batter may have been a little overmixed making the cake about half the height it was meant to be but I swear it was still delicious. It definitely was not my best cake but I think given the fact that I had a very cranky babe glued to me I would say it was pretty darn good!
*Recipe from gracessweetlife
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 large eggs + 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease 8 inch round cake tin ( you can also use pam baking spray )
- In a med bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a whisk. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer , using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla on high speed until fluffy.
- One at a time add the eggs and yolks, mixing well after each.
- Turn mixer to low and add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk in 2 additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Mix until just combined ( do not overmix!!! )
- Pour the batter into cake pan making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Bake, alternating half way through, for 30-35 min (until when poked with a toothpick it comes out clean)
- let cool for 10 min then transfer to a wire rack until it has finished cooling.
3 tbsp honey and 1/4 cup water. Over high heat whisk until honey has completely dissolved. Set aside to cool.
STRAWBERRY CREAM TOPPING:
- 20 0unces fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 tsp unflavoured gelatin
- In a med sized bowl mix together your strawberries and 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside.
- Place 2 tbsp of cold water in a small saucepan, add the gelatin and let soften for 5 min. Over low heat whisk gelatin until it has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool (keep a close eye on it or it will set and you will have to do this step all over again…which is not so easy to do if you have a baby on your hip but hey, now I know and I will try my best not to make that mistake again)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the whisk attachment whip together the cream and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks begin to form.
- Continue to whisk and gradually add the gelatin mixture; beat until soft peaks have formed.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- Using a serrated knife cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Cut side facing up place the bottom half of the cake on a cake plate or cake stand.
- Brush cake with some simple syrup then add a layer of berries and a layer of whip cream. Repeat on second half of cake only first add the whipped cream and then top with berries.
* I spread the cream around the sides of the cake but next time I would definitely double the whipped cream recipe so I had enough to properly cover the cake and have a thicker layer of the cream in the middle layer. I might also use some homemade strawberry jam instead of simple syrup.