I love smoked salmon. I crave it all the time. Being pregnant kinda put a damper on my little love affair. When I found out St. Michael’s was where I was going to deliver, maybe not my first thought but up there with my first thought was “there is a Druxy’s across the street, I can get a smoked salmon bagel for my first meal after the baby is born!!!” Unfortunately that was not the case, Druxy’s was closed. I wound up eating a crappy Tim Hortons sandwich but my second meal was the most amazing smoked salmon sandwich I had ever had.
Today I am once again craving smoked salmon but I want it served as comfort food. Smoked salmon mac’n’cheese it is.
Don’t mind if I do.
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 cups shredded cheese divided
- 4 cups (450g) uncooked pasta
- 1/3 cup diced sundried tomatoes or 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 150g smoked salmon
- 4 cups chopped greens, spinach, kale, collards, chard..
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 tbl flour
- 2.5 tbl butter
- 5 tsp fresh dill chopped and divided
- salt and pepper to taste ( watch out for the salt as the salmon is already quite salty )
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- cube butternut squash. Coat with olive oil and bake at 400 for 15 min.
- cook pasta until it is just under-cooked ( a min or so less than you would cook it normally )
- In a sauce pan over med heat melt the butter, then add the garlic and saute for one minute. Add the flour and whisk until well blended. Add the cream and broth, continue to whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Add to the mixture 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Stir until melted and combined.
- Add 3/4 of the dill and season with salt and pepper to taste ( remember not too much salt )
- In a big bowl add butternut squash, smoked salmon and the pot of cheese sauce. Stir together.
- Now pour mixture into a large casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 30 min.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the remaining dill.
Comments and positivity are always welcomed, however I am currently not accepting complaints or criticisms.