- 3 green peppers
- 3 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cans black turtle beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 12oz bottle smoked beer ( just ask at the LCBO )
- 4 cups veg broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with the liquid
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo, remember the heat is in the seeds not the pepper! if you want less heat scrape out some of the seeds before putting the chopped peppers in.
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped ( or 1 tbsp dried )
- Top with avocado
In a large pot over med heat add the oil. When it begins to simmer add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until it begins to brown, about 3 min . Add the peppers, diced potato, garlic, cumin and bay leaves. Cook for about 1 min. Add the beer cooking until the alcohol smell has cooked off, 3 minutes. Now add the beans ( drained and rinsed ) broth, and tomatoes ( with the juice ) and bring to a boil. Once the chili has come to a boil reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Finally stir in the chipotles and fresh oregano and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with your choice of avocado, crema or sour cream.
*Note: This chili would be amazing on nachos!!